In today’s lesson with Rob, we watched most of final productions, which were very different from each other and unique in their own way.
I loved watching my class mates productions as I feel like they have reviled a bit of everyone’s personality, showing that everyone has cooperated and worked hard in order to achieve that finishing product.
When we displayed ‘Never Will I Leave You’, the class feedback I received was mostly positive. There were of course things to improve upon, but I believe the hard work for it paid off.
- The production meets its creative intention – I was really happy about this particular thing as I personally found it quite challenging to covey a thought of love and religion in 4 minutes and 20 seconds. Therefore, I am very pleased by the fact that our intention was clear and visible in our opening sequence.
- “It’s interesting how although nothing dramatic happens, you’re still involved, as the characterisation of Ivy and Kristina is quite good” – This has probably pleased me most, as I really wanted the characters to become more believable and to give them life. I think that was done quite well due to the fact that the characters were very much based on the actor’s real personalities. The lines complimented their personalities in real life, as well as within the film, and I am very glad we’ve made that decision ever since the beginning of this project.
- Different camera angles – We did try our best to film the same scene from many different angles, however sometimes unfortunately we were either time pressured or in the wrong place at the wrong times. I have noticed that when we had different angles of the same scene, it was a lot easier to put together and it looked a lot more professional too.
- Use of different camera techniques such as ‘shot reverse shot’ – I didn’t personally consider this aspect when filming, I thought more of what would add to the story and what would make the characters seem more real. Therefore there weren’t that many camera techniques, or they weren’t very complex as I thought a bit more experience is needed before attempting to film in a more difficult and complex way.
- The use of non-diegetic sound as it allowed the audience to focus on the moving image, not particularly on sound.
- Dialogue as not many people did use it – I thought dialogue would give the audience a better sense of the characters, and it was also potentially the clearest way of telling a story. I also really enjoyed writing the script, therefore I think that was a great outcome.
- Jump cuts – Some particular scenes, we couldn’t film from more than one angle, therefore they were quite difficult to edit.
- Different angles of the classroom would have made the scene look a lot more realistic and would have been much more effective. – I totally agree with that, and it’s definitely one of the first things I would like to improve on. When the classroom scene was filmed it was about 5:00pm,as we had to work around the schedule of out actors. It was very difficult to find some extras in order for it to look like an actual classroom. Therefore I limited my framing so that the audience only sees the essential characters in that particular scene. Although it wasn’t the most ideal, it was the only way that scene could of been filmed at that particular time.
- Replace the cross-fade with a back screen
- Never shoot a scene only once and try taking numerous takes rather than one continuous shot. – I believe that if we were to do that there would have been a lot m0re to work with, and will definitely consider it for the next coming project.
I believe this session was really helpful, as myself and Aisha have watched it so many times, to the point where I personally just want to film it all over again. However, it’s great to see it from the audiences point of view, as the product is mainly intended to them.